24 September 2013

A simple tomato sauce plus variations


It is my belief that the best sauce is a simple sauce.  The fresh tomatoes do not need to be dressed or overpowered by a dozen herbs or spices to bring out their perfect flavors.

To make my sauce, I start with a big pot of boiling water.  I fill a second large pot with tomatoes and pour the boiling water over them.   If I'm making sauce, I'll let them sit for 15-20 minutes or so with the lid on to steam off the skins.


When the water is cool enough to put your hands in, the tomato skins are slipping right off the ripe tomatoes. 


I add nothing more than garlic, onion, and maybe a red pepper if I have one I can pull out of my garden.   A little salt, pepper, or a small pinch of basil if you have it.

After I've slipped the tomatoes out of their skins and removed the cores, I give them a good squeeze before adding them to my sauce pot.   There is a lot of remaining liquid in the pan so I poured off a bit of it to make some tomato soup for my daughter and I for lunch today before adding my tomato pieces to the onions and garlic.


Simmer for 1-2 hours.  Puree with an immersion blender until smooth if desired.

That's it.  That's my sauce recipe.  You can can these and process according to your altitude directions to put up for the winter.  You can let it cool and put it in ziploc bags to freeze flat.  Or you can move onto dinner with a yummy veggie lasagna (which is what we did)


I'll post the veggie lasagna recipe as well as the simple tomato soup a little later this month.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...