I live in a very old house. It was build in 1937 by a man who build flour mills for a living, for his daughter when she got married. Most of the fixtures (and wiring -ack!) were original when I moved in. There were two of these lights in the living room and dining room but one didn't work. This is the one remaining light. When the other one was removed, I kept it (yeah, I'm not a hoarder, really, I just know good-can-be-used-for-something-sometime stuff when I see it!)
I've been thinking all along, wouldn't that make a neat outdoor light? So when I stumbled across the LED solar lights at Walmart for only $4.00 I had to pick one up to see if it fit in the bulb socket - success!! It fit perfectly!
First unscrew what you can, my light had a long threaded bar through the center that attached the light to the ceiling. Cut and pull out all wiring. I had to be careful with the bulb sockets - they were made out of porcelain and chipped when I tried to grab it with the needle nose pliers.
Separate the stem of the LED light from the globe and pull out the red plastic tab to get the batteries to connect.
Globe rests right inside the cups that once held lightbulbs. I used GE silicone 2 and added a rim of glue to the inside to hold it securely.
Hanging at a temporary spot in the yard until I can get the pergola built this summer (hopefully)!
It doesn't add a tremendous amount of light, but it glows nicely :)